Saturday, April 14, 2007

Thomastown, Ireland

"Good news Claire!"

--Did you get time off of work?

"
The restaurant closed so we got let go and now you can come whenever you want."

--So, I take the train to where?


"Thomastown."

--So I want to be going to Thomastown?

"Not many people do, but yep that's where your going. I'll wait for you at the train station because there aren't many women around Thomastown and I wouldn't want someone to steal you from the station."

Who would have thought being fired was good news? Chris, that's who! This was my introduction to Thomastown that I'd received over the phone with my great friend Chris who I'd met in my hostel days in Victoria, B.C.


Thomastown is a little Irish Village about 2 1/2 hours south of Dublin. That's about all I can say about it. Everything was picturesque as Europe has proven to be... but there wasn't much else here but my friend Chris, random occurances, and lots of laughs. Chris gave me the tour and showed me the horizons, which he said were important to see so that you don't forget that there is more to the world than Thomastown. I thought he was joking when he said this to me, except when I walked into his kitchen and saw the message posted up on the wall... I just about died with laughter.



Jagerbombs away! Okay, only had one for old times sake, but boy was it good. We had lots of catching up to do and were just in awe that I was actually in Ireland. We had some laughs about the good old days and some new ones -- like the random occurance of underpants that littered the streets of Thomastown. How does one lose their underpants on the street??? Guess may be one too many Guiness's could do that to a person.

The next day was one of those days... 5 movies and the couch is what happened to us. Plans foiled for our super work out and jogging day. Oh well...collecting wood for the fire place was work out enough for that day.

















Being in Thomastown was great. I doubt many people would say this... but I will. I'd spent a total of 3 nights here with Chris and his flat mate Tim and let me tell you, these boys know how to live and certainly knew how to cook. The meals that I had here had rivaled any restaurant that I'd ever been in. It was like I was at some elite spa -- the plates were colourful and creative and more importantly, healthy and all vegetarian. Oh my.



We spent most of our time around the townhouse... they planted their organic garden in the back yard and planned meals all day, while we had the occassional drink and enjoyed the sun. Mojito's had been the drink of choice this time around -- we couldn't let the fresh mint in the garden go to waist. Okay, so judging by that photo -- perhaps we could have slacked off a little bit from the mohito's.

There were nothing but good times to be had here. We sat around and simply enjoyed life. Good meals, a wonderful fire place and the funniest of company with the most random of occurances.
Thomastown is the last destination of my travels around Europe... was great to meet up with old friends and with that... and without further adew, here are the boys responsible for my week end of good laughs.




Chris & Tim

No comments: